Most of us, have never witnessed, as many hate crimes, as we’ve seen in the last couple of years! Those, who, either lived through, or had family/ relatives/ friends, victimized by the atrocities, from the 1930’s and 1940’s, in Europe, or resided under certain dictators and/ or, tyrants, certainly, would never want to undergo that, again! Groups, who hope to alert the public of the dangers, often, use the slogan, NEVER Again, to proclaim, it must never happen, again! Nevertheless, here in the United States, as well as in many other places, around the world, the spike in the number of hate crimes, should be concerning, to all of us! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and why, we all, should be alarmed, and concerned.
1. Needs; narcissistic; norms; negativity: Wouldn’t we better served, if/ when, our elected officials, focused on citizens’ needs, and the finest priorities, rather than using negativity, to put one group of citizens, against others? When President Trump uses statements, contrary to our norms, and creates an adversarial relationship, rather than trying to unify, and bring us together, for the common good, equating White Supremacists, with protestors, claiming, there are lots of fine people, on both sides, and resorts to name – calling, blaming, and complaining, dangerously, resorting to scape – goating for, apparently, his personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, in what appears to be a narcissistic manner, we are all harmed, and, at – risk!
2. Energy; empathy; emphasis: Instead of trying to be the leader of all the people, the present occupant of the White House, seems to lack any degree of genuine empathy, and only seeks to positively, energize his core political base of supporters! Wouldn’t we be better off, if the primary emphasis of our President, was, to encourage tolerance, and fight for all our Constitutional guarantees, rather than, merely, selectively, doing so?
3. Vile; violate; vicious; vitriol: When politicians resort to vitriol, and favor, the vicious approach, rather than the comforting one, it seems to violate, our expectations! Vile statements, which, offend many, and appeal to what, Hillary Clinton, referred to, as the deplorables, seem to enable the haters!
4. Eulogy; enablers: If we don’t fight for our democratic freedoms, and Constitutional guarantees, we might as well, deliver our version of an eulogy, to the Constitution! When we fail to stand – up to, and fight hate, and bigotry, etc, we become enablers to the haters!
5. Relevant; ramifications; restore; rights: We must pay attention to the relevant and sustainable needs, of maintaining our democratic republic! Either, we fight to restore, and maintain, all of the rights, we have earned, or future generations, will face the undesirable ramifications, for decades, to come!
Wake up, America, because, this isn’t normal, and, we must say, NEVER again, to taking some convenient path, rather than doing, what’s right! There is no place for paying selective attention, to doing, what’s right!